Thursday, May 10, 2012

A MATTER OF TASTE.


I’ve been reading a lot again lately, after a few years of reading very little. I had lost interest in most of what I found on the shelves at the bookstores, finding I was disappointed as often as not. Since discovering online fiction and especially webfiction, I’ve found it is possible to read a great deal without the sort of time and emotional investment needed for a really good novel.

Not that there aren’t plenty of exceptional, emotionally involving works available in serial form, but the enforced wait between updates can serve to dampen the effect just as easily as it can heighten anticipation. Which is, of course, the perfect reason to look to the list of 1889 Labs publications; when you have enjoyed the story in episodic form, you can enjoy it all again, differently, with the release of a book.

But, anyway, back to my day to day. I felt it had been too long since I read some really good fantasy – so, off I went to Google up a list of the best in fantasy titles to see what would tickle my fancy. I found an excellent list, which then directed me to a well known online super-marketplace, where I could find reviews on the recommended titles. Once there, I did what I always do. I read a handful of the 5 stars and a number of the 1 star reviews for each title. [I also add up the number of reviews marked 3 stars and under and then compare it to the number of high scores. See, 3 is a fail, for me. Not for the book, it means it is a fair enough read, but I want to find the BEST. There are too many good books out there to waste time choosing something that is just okay.]

What I found reminded me of a comment made by a friend who worked at a pizza chain call centre. She said, “You only hear from the lovers or the haters.” But I wonder how many times lovers and haters are struck by the exact same points. Do the phoner-inners hate their anchovy with a passion as grand as those who were angry there was not enough anchovy? Does an excess of cheese get a poor reception from the diet-conscious and wild applause from the cheese lovers of the world?

In fiction, it seems to happen a lot.  [more....]
.

5 comments:

Garth said...

Fantasy? (sort of) I suggest Neal Stephenson's Anathem - it sets a new standard altogether.

Letitia Coyne said...

The world is full of synchronicity. Two other friends mentioned reading Anathem, too. Must be sign from Heaven. :)
Lxx

Nathan Casey said...

I've never understood people who read an entire novel and then say, "What a load of pants!"

I'll generally give a book fifty-odd pages to hook me (quite generous, I think). If it hasn't by then I flush it and maybe look back in a few years' time.

My granddaddy had the principle of "finish what you started" and even applied it to his reading - irrespective of whether he was enjoying or hating a novel, he'd stick with it to the end.

Now, this might seem an admirable trait at first glance, but I'm of the mind that there are so many good books out there it is a disservice to them and yourself to waste your time with shite.

This does relate to your post (I'm long-winded, sorry). Did the reviewers who gave low scores read to the bitter end?

If not... well, then I hope they said so. I once abandoned a book halfway and was subsequently told to carry on coz it got mad-batshit-brilliant. I did and it did. Hooray for me!

If they carried on reading with a sulky face and growing irritation with the author... what the Hell for?

Moral of the story: We're not sparkly vampires with immortality to spend reading bollocks! Don't finish what you start unless it's worth it! And here's another exclamation mark to drive it home!

Letitia Coyne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Letitia Coyne said...

Mostly I agree - certainly with most modern novels. There are books like 'Ulysses' which I just laboured to get through. It took me three starts and then a dedicated effort. I appreciated it more when I read the introductory notes [after reading] and there were parts of it I loved. But,I persevered only because it is one of those classics 'everyone should read'. I don't regret it, but I wish I could have enjoyed it more.